Topic-icon Nordschleife VLN Series - General Discussion

• Ross Hawkey
  • Ross Hawkey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator / Donator
More
1 year 3 months ago - 11 months 2 weeks ago #8598 by Ross Hawkey
Ross Hawkey created the topic: Nordschleife VLN Series - General Discussion
Click on the Championship Banner to be taken to the RaceConnect Series Page for this Championship

Use this forum for general discussion about the RaceConnect Nordschleife VLN Series 2018

Ross Hawkey
Last Edit: 11 months 2 weeks ago by Ross Hawkey.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Ross Hawkey
More
11 months 2 weeks ago - 11 months 2 weeks ago #10641 by Ross Hawkey
Ross Hawkey replied the topic: Nordschleife VLN Series - General Discussion
There are many reasons why we might see higher or lower grids in various championships.

I need to look at the VLN championship to try to understand.

RaceConnect has been running VLN series using rfactor, Assetto Corsa and now rfactor2.

In 2016 (using rfactor and the Blancpain GT3 mod, 4 of the 5 rounds saw grids in excess of 20. The final round was just 16, but 16 isn't too bad).

For the 2018 series, we have 12 who have selected cars, and we raced with just 6 last night. That's not good enough to make it work continuing really.

It could be the fact that we're using the 'paid for' GT3 mod (but we've seen 24 & 17 racing in the GT3 series, and 12 reg'd already for Rd3)
Clearly, the Nordschleife is a bit love or hate, and no one will race it if they don't like it that much, and that's fine.
Also, the rF2 Nordschleife isn't a full on laser scan of the track, but it's very good (not as good as the old rf version with it's 7 or 8 gfx versions reflecting the time of year)

.A quick google for VLN championshjips doesn't find very much for me. The only result I can find is the iracing VLN championship from 2018. That saw 59 cars in the final round of the series, across 3 car classes. I don't like the fact that it's all effectively single car make racing. Mercedes for GT3 (though I saw 1 Audi and a couple of BMW's), Porsches for GT4?, and Mazda MX5's for the lower end cars. But the thought of having almost 60 cars on the grid is a buzz.

We've been running VLN as a scheduled championship since 2011, with grids of 20+. Despite supporting the championship each year for the last 7 years, we end up with 6 on the grid. Lat year, with Assetto Corsa, and a full laser scanned version of the track, we started with 21 drivers for Rd1, saw 33 different competitors through the year, and ended up with 8 in the last round.

I'm not expecting existing members to suddenly join :). If they wanted to, then they would have already.

I'm just confused in the knowledge that I know that there is a love for the Nordschleife among many (not all) sim-racers, but we don't seem able to hold onto anyone.

The next round is the Nurburgring 2.4hrs (hopefully, though I'll not race for 2.4hrs with 6) on 3rd June. Day/Night/Day transition, variable weather, 5 well balanced GT3 cars. Surely we'll get a bit of interest in that?

What options do we have. I'm open to suggestions, though am keen to continue with the series for 2018.

We could:
1/. Use the Enduracers GT2 cars instead of the GT3 Power Pack (i.e Free content, which might boost interest).
2/. Increase car classes. Use GTE/GT2 Cars Enduracers GT2 cars, Porsche Flat 6 Cars and also the TCR Cars , to create a 3 class championship. All of it is free content, and it may encourage more participation with the chance for 3 winners across the classes.
3/. Change sims altogether. I don't really want to go back to rfactor. We tried Assetto Corsa (and that'd be more work for Andrew anyway, so that's not really an option), and we ended up with 8 or so, in that championship in 2017 anyway.
4/. We could just go to iracing and join their series, but then it'd not fit the RaceConnect calendar, so that'd be difficult.
5/. Does anyone know of another community that runs a successful and well supported VLN series.

The more I look at those options, then the best option for the Nurburgring 2.4hrs (to me) appears to be to go for 'free content' 2 or 3 class event, using Enduracers, Flat 6 & TCR cars. After 2 rounds using the GT3 power pack, I just can't see it building. I'd plugged the last event on Facebook and the Studio 397 Forums.

Ross Hawkey
Last Edit: 11 months 2 weeks ago by Ross Hawkey.

• Ross Hawkey
More
11 months 2 weeks ago #10642 by Ross Hawkey
Ross Hawkey replied the topic: Nordschleife VLN Series - General Discussion

Ross Hawkey wrote: 1/. Use the Enduracers GT2 cars instead of the GT3 Power Pack (i.e Free content, which might boost interest).
2/. Increase car classes. Use GTE/GT2 Cars Enduracers GT2 cars, Porsche Flat 6 Cars and also the TCR Cars , to create a 3 class championship. All of it is free content, and it may encourage more participation with the chance for 3 winners across the classes.

The more I look at those options, then the best option for the Nurburgring 2.4hrs (to me) appears to be to go for 'free content' 2 or 3 class event, using Enduracers, Flat 6 & TCR cars. After 2 rounds using the GT3 power pack, I just can't see it building. I'd plugged the last event on Facebook and the Studio 397 Forums.

We've plenty of time, but for the next round (Nurburgring 2.4hrs), I'm going to try this multi-class 'free content' approach to plug around the fourms & social media.

As there were only 6 of the grid last night, and 1 of them was me...I can only upset 5 people :) Sorry if I've upset anyone.

Ross Hawkey

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #10646 by Chad Bartrum
Chad Bartrum replied the topic: Nordschleife VLN Series - General Discussion
I haven't given up on the series. I had been ill the last couple of days so I wasn't able to attend yesterday's race.
I like the multiclass idea as it makes it closer to the real thing, but if numbers don't increase, it could be worse with everyone spread over 3 classes.
As far as successful VLN series, I know of this one, RRVLN It is a RaceRoom league with 2 divisions of 3 classes, 36 drivers in each division.

The iRacing series does get a lot of participation. Round 1 this season had 291 cars, but it is a team event, so I believe if you do it solo you don't get any points. It is four classes. GT3 (488, R8, Merc), Porsche 911 GT3 Cup, Kia Optima, Mazda MX-5. The thing is, it would cost more money than buying the GT3 pack for RF2, so that probably wouldn't work either.

Chad Bartrum
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ross Hawkey

• Roberto De Filippis
More
11 months 2 weeks ago #10648 by Roberto De Filippis
Roberto De Filippis replied the topic: Nordschleife VLN Series - General Discussion
I also had to give up the race yesterday because I was busy for the 12h Sebring of VEC and I was very tired and unfortunately I will not be able to do next because in conjunction with the 24h of Le Mans always of VEC. Personally I have always done this championship because I love the track and remember the competitions made in the previous championships. The idea of using the ISI GT3 was a good idea is a well done mod even if you have to buy it, but I do not think this is the problem that has limited I have seen that you want to try changing the cars we hope that there is an increase in drivers and that they remain throughout the championship. I will be there as soon as the commitments with the VEC will end.

rob17

More
11 months 2 weeks ago - 11 months 2 weeks ago #10650 by Jens Roos
Jens Roos replied the topic: Nordschleife VLN Series - General Discussion
Maybe I'm assuming things here but I would have thought anyone dedicated to run rF2 in an league, already had these cars as one could believe looking at the 24H GT series. These cars at the VLN is an blast to drive but I'm sure it's possible to find an good option in any of the cars in the new selection, let's hope that it gives an boost in the numbers.

It would for sure be better if there was 20 cars instead of 6, but the trend the same looking at the RRE table, ~60 cars selected, ~40 in race one, ~20 in race two.

With iracing being the exception with its huge user base, it seems that finding sim racers actually wanting (not just saying they wanting it) 1-2h races seems hard regardless of sim, less important if it being VLN, single class or multi class opportunities.

I don't know if doing some joined event(s) with some other rF2 league running an VLN series could be an possible option, it's happening in Automobilista but these are more "open" events so you just join them.

Wergilius
Last Edit: 11 months 2 weeks ago by Jens Roos.

Time to create page: 0.385 seconds

PayPal Donations

Subscription Options